Palo Alto California History
In Palo Alto, the technological revolution swept across the US in the 1990 "s, and it continues to this day. The city borders to the north on San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland, Berkeley and San Mateo, but is also one of the largest sports districts in the USA, home to the Oakland Athletics, Los Angeles Lakers, New York Giants and Oakland A as well as many other major sports teams.
Palo Alto is crossed by several streams that flow into the San Francisco Bay to the north and the San Mateo and Almaden rivers to the south.
The tall sequoias that line Palo Alto's northern border have been firmly rooted for over a millennium. Before setting foot in Palo Altos, visit the tree that gives the city its name, the always venerable El Palo - Alto, located on the west side of the city, north of downtown. The tree has been in danger from the top of the mountain since its first sighting, but it has never been classified as dangerous. Stop by and embrace the old tree, especially if you're in the time-honored "El Palo, Alto" on a sunny day.
The tree is expected to live another 300 years and is considered one of the oldest sequoias in the United States and the second oldest in California. It is the tree that inspired the people who gave the Palo Alto neighborhood its name to call it that.
Although the period of racial segregation was marked, there are stories of acceptance that show that Palo Alto, for all its faults, was also home to progressive residents. In the 1990s, according to Bloom, there were still certain aspects of racial prejudice in Palo Palo.
In the early 20th century, the area known as Ravenswood (North Palo Alto) also had a large number of Japanese-Americans, most of them from Japan, but also from other countries. Although there were at least some communities in East Palo Alto, there are very few Japanese in the city today, according to Bloom. In the early 20th century, the Raven Swood Chamber of Commerce represented the majority of the residents of North and South Palo Palo, as well as a small percentage of the residents of the Bay Area and beyond.
In 1925, Mayfield residents voted to merge with Palo Alto, and on July 6, 1925, Runnymede and Ravenswood joined forces to fend off competition from neighboring Palo Palo and Menlo Park. Mayfields officially ceased to exist on July 6, 1926, according to the city's official history.
Then, in 1857, a bill by the State Senate established the County of San Mateo and retained the boundaries of Palo Alto, Menlo Park and Palo Palo as the boundaries of the County. In 1858, Palo Alto and Menlo Park annexed land from East Palo Altos, reducing the area to about 2,500 hectares, or about 1.5 percent of the total. By the end of 1859, however, they had annexed another 25 percent of the municipality, which meant that it lost both inhabitant and property tax revenues.
Some of the first homes had better drinking water, though the city's utilities had not yet reached southern Palo Alto. At its peak, neighborhoods across Palo Palo were divided, including those in East Palo Altos, Menlo Park and other parts of San Mateo County. The tacit domination of real estate in these communities continued to segregate minorities, so that racial segregation escalated in Palo Alto until it was split into two separate communities, Palo Palos Alto and Palo Pueblo.
El Palo Alto, the tree that now symbolizes Palo Palo and Stanford University, was planted at the end of the 19th century. The Fray Pedro Font was taken in El Palo Altos while camping under the trees, and his companions, who the Spaniards called "twin trees," also served as guides for other explorers.
Spanish researchers noted the tall trees, and Senator Leland Stanford sat down on the trot. As a result, Stanford continued to build what is now South Palo Alto and what was then Mayfield, the city of Palo Palo would grow. The University Park was eventually integrated into the larger city as it matured into Stanford University, and by the late 20th century it was to grow into a city alongside the university itself.
Palo Alto would eventually annex Mayfield and create the city of Palo Alto, the largest city in California and the second largest in the United States.
The hills west of Mayfield used to house a small sawmill operated by men to harvest Douglas fir and redwood trees as the city grew. The area was abandoned for nearly a century, but was revived when speculator Isaiah Woods bought it and named it Ravenswood. In the mid-19th century, Mayfields became one of the largest cities in California with a population of more than 1,000.